Jan 17, 2008

What I did over my winter break...

In an inevitably futile attempt to circumvent answering the hundreds of inquiries from friends or otherwise random people walking down the sidewalk, I am going post here what I did with my three and half weeks of break. For those wanting the short answer and the one I usually give to people when they ask, “How was your break? What did you do?” It is a recurring, “It was good. Wish it was longer. I didn’t do much.” For the full answer of what I did over break, here it is.

“I didn’t do much” by many people’s standards, in that I didn’t go on a vacation or visit any distant relatives, I didn’t even leave my house all that much. Perhaps after I have laid out my entire break to excruciating detail that you might not think “I didn’t do much.”

Before I could even truly get into the full swing that was to be my break, I receive a call from my best friend, Chad, who implores me to come back to Iowa City to pick him up because his car is literally frozen to the ground. Being the kind, good friend that I am, and for lack of anything better to do, I drove back to Iowa City to pick him up, along with some items I had forgotten. (one of them happened to be my driver’s license. ^^; )

For the first few days before Christmas, I spent most of my time sleeping, briefly interrupting this rebooting time by playing video games. Standard affair and should come of no surprise.

On Christmas Eve, my brother’s girlfriend showed up to spend Christmas with us as my parents secretly dreaded every moment she was within five feet of them.

My Christmas gifts this year were more low-end than any other year. A product of getting older, and knowing every single item I was going to unwrap beforehand. Needless to say, there were no major surprises this year as there usually is. Along with the standard Christmas swag of giftcards and greenbacks, I received the following: Two new DS games, Picross DS and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, a Wii Classic controller, a Wii LAN adaptor, my own copies of the movies Kiki’s Delivery Service, Akira, and Whisper of the Heart, (<< I’m betting you don’t know what these are, shame!) a Cowboy Bebop wall scroll, and the Nintendo edition of Monopoly. I am strongly considering not opening the Monopoly, because I know it will probably be played once, maybe twice if its lucky, and it is a collector’s item after all.

Two days after Christmas I spent some of my Christmas revenue on Elite Beat Agents! for the DS, and spent the bulk of the next week playing it and my other newly acquired DS games.

I went to two Basketball games over break. The first being Iowa’s Big Ten opening loss to Indiana. The other one being Iowa’s first win in the Big Ten, which was against Michigan State. I also attended the historic meeting between the most storied wrestling programs in the nation, the dual against Oklahoma State, which we unexpectedly lost.

On more than one occasion I hung out with friends, and one day we spent at our favorite and by favorite I mean only LAN gaming café, Extreme PvP, where we played DoTA and Ravenshield for a cool $12.50.

I beat a total of six games over break: Elite Beat Agents! (DS), Phantom Hourglass (DS), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Portal (PC), Super Metroid (SNES), Paper Mario (N64).

I installed Leopard onto my laptop. I completed another video (My Top 5 Most Anticipated Games of ’08), which is currently drifting among the YouTube community along with my others, and started on several other video projects.

That was my break. I think this is sufficient enough that people shouldn’t be asking me about it. So how was yours?

No comments: