Jul 9, 2014

Off to EVO 2014

For the second straight year, I'll will be making the trek to Las Vegas for the biggest fighting game tournament in the world, EVO. This is looking to be the biggest EVO ever with nearly 2000 players for USF4.

I will also be joined by the biggest group of companions yet. I'll be staying with Greg "GQDang", Andrew "Dekline", and Yulai "Uli." Others that are going will be Jamarr "Jamarrvelous", Jay "JayfordLOL", Will "MetalMusicMan", and others.

Last year I reached the loser's semis of my pool before I was eliminated. It was a good result, especially considering how extremely nervous I was. That was demonstrated in my gameplay which I recorded and that stuff is available on my YouTube channel. As I reflect back on it, I did as well as I could be expected to do given my skill level at the time. I did better than Canadian Ibuki "WhiteGun" who was dubiously eliminated by a Bison player who I beat in the next round. If I had beat the guy who eliminated me, I would have had to play top T. Hawk "Native" which I probably would have lost to.

My goal this year is to qualify from my pool. From there will be gravy. Qualifying from the pool stage this year means making top 250- an impressive result considering the stacked field. At the same time, I can't take my results too seriously. It is well documented doing well at a huge tournament like EVO has some luck factored into it. And after all, since I have no chance of making top 8 or anything like that, losses in the tournament should be looked upon with a refined perspective. As they say, "Everyone loses except one player."

Wish me luck, and I'll see you on the other side.

No comments: