Feb 18, 2011

Impressions on MvC3 after 4 Days

The short answer is, I'm enjoying the game. Having something new to play has been refreshing, and it's always satisfying beating down scrubs online. However, overall I think the game suffers from a few fundamental problems, which I'll get into below and more detailed posts. Since my thoughts are all too scattered and since they are only days old with plenty of time to evolve I have compiled them in a list in no real particular order.

1. Much like TvC, it feels like every character has a chance and does decent damage.

2. Sentinel is the best character in the game. The most health, the most benefit from x-factor, a great assist, and great DHC options.

3. Dante is the second best character in the game. Very safe and annoying to fight, plus good and easy combos, long range for his speed, a good assist, and good DHC options.

4. X-factor level 3 is too powerful.

5. Projectile assists rule the day.

6. Ryu is the worst character in the game. Assist is ok, but could be better. No air dash, mediocre projectiles, clearly gets outclassed by similar characters in style like Akuma and Morrigan.

7. I'm not sure why tag out attacks are overheads. It wasn't like this in TvC, honestly I'm unsure how they worked in Marvel 2. Even so, it's way easier to randomly tag out, the fact they are overheads makes it even easier.

8. I don't like the air exchange system. I've never liked it since it was announced. The reward a player gets for a correct guess is not equal to the ease of the situation and the risk involved in executing it.

9. Like TvC, there is whiff canceling. I don't like this. It makes virtually any move safe.

10. The variability available to the player in combos is astounding. Creative minds have already made some neat stuff unlike what I've seen in other fighters.

11. Killing characters takes top priority. No matter what it takes, make sure you kill them. Any surviving member makes it very hard to win. Red life regen speed and the ease of the random tag makes it that much harder to kill characters. Do your damage to kill.

12. From the last two points, execution is a very key aspect of success.

No comments: