Feb 7, 2011

Post Mortem: HPiLC- Interview with Kurares

Last week, Iowa's up and coming Brawl Fox, Gary "Kuares" aka OG Melee Roy, "Zyroqwa" made his Brawl tournament organizing debut with Highest Point in Linn County. It featured a stage picking system that was described by several Iowa players beforehand as "interesting." Essentially, it gave each player an equal chance to counterpick a stage during the first two games, putting more emphasis on the third and final game. I sat down with Kuares to obtain his perspective about the rule set. And I didn't forget that while making sure the tournament was running smoothly, he also managed to place 2nd (even beating yours truly). We talked about his ability to adapt during matches and the future of the Eastern Iowa scene. Read on, after the break.




NGamer3k: What was your main motivation for changing the SBR's rule set?

Kuares: Well I didn't believe that changing the rule sets in a small Iowa tournament would really mean much in terms of the SBR so I decided to experiment alittle.

NG: How did you come up with it? Was this some utopian vision you've had for a long time?

QRS: No, it was basically me just lurking Smashboards rule set discussion. I read a thread that was talking about how MK broke the CP system if he won the first match. How it would always in the last match go to Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise and be a win for Meta Knight. That was one reason why I made the Stage System different. The other reason why I made it that way was because, like, no one knows how to counterpick.

NG: Haha, that's true. I agree.

QRS: I hate it when in a tournament after the first game, I get taken to Battlefield/Smashville. Those aren't advantageous to anyone, so people are basically setting themselves up on an equal field. They can't play on any other stage and it's stupid.

NG: You mentioned that the ruleset didn't quite work in longer sets, why is that?

QRS: It worked, but not as well as the original system. I'm pretty sure the reason it didn't feel right was because the switching off counterpicks in a set of 5 doesn't change depending on who's winning. With Joker, he beat me pretty soundly. In a normal match, I would have had a neutral and then 2 counterpicks before I lost. It makes sense since I was losing. But with my system he got a counterpick even though he was winning already. The stage selection didn't match-up to what was happening in the set, and that's why I think it didn't work so well. It worked with Brandon because we switched off wins each round. In any other case it feels weird.

NG: Another kind of problem is with characters, they have to be locked before each game of the set, was character counterpicking after a stage counterpick another problem you had with the SBR's ruleset? Like someone could switch to Meta Knight on virtually any CP stage and be in a good position.

QRS: Or another character that has a major advantage on the chosen stage. Say a Yoshi wants to go against an MK, they CP Final Destination and the other player switches to Falco.

NG: that's happened to me before...

QRS: That's actually where I got the example. :3

NG: Ha, well to play devil's advocate, people would say that the person with the power to counterpick must take into account the opponents secondary characters, and that adds to the conterpicking dynamic, what do you say to that?

QRS: Well I'm just guessing but you wouldn't have wanted to counterpicked Final Destination if you had thought he would go Falco. After he goes Falco, what then? Since it's your counterpick, unless you have a Pikachu for CG'ing, you screwed yourself for no good reason. Counterpicks are supposed to be counterpicks for a reason.

NG: with the conventional rule set, it pays dividends to play multiple characters.

QRS:But in my opinion, stages should be selected to deal with characters, not characters should be selected for stages.

NG: Why was PS2 a neutral and PS1 the counterpick? That's pretty wonky.

QRS: I know, right? Basically I was looking at some old Melee videos of mine and the one's on PS1 had a standstill for 45 seconds a few times. From what I understand of PS2, that happens a bit, but it's not due to the actual stage putting a wall between the opponents but rather both opponents not knowing how to deal with the stage. You can do more in PS2's transformations than PS1's.


NG: How successful do you think the ruleset was? Did it work out the way you thought it would?

QRS: I'd say it was successful. People commented on how it had a different feel, and also agreed that the most important match should be last. The only way it didn't work out was for best of 5. Then in teams I don't know how many people followed it, but it took a lot more thinking on their part to both agree on a counterpick. It being the stage selection rule.

NG: If you were to change something about the rule set for the future, how would you? If you run another tournament, will you use the rule set?

QRS: I will definitely use the stage select for Best of 3 matches, but I'll modify best of 5 to be the neutral then counterpick situation instead. Also something Thugz said when I first made the thread, proposing 2 counterpicks and the opponent chosing one to fight on. It'd give more info on what's the choices, but it'd take even more getting used to than this method. Because then people would have to think of 2 counterpicks, and I don't know if they're ready for that.

NG: you played Brandon (BPx) earlier in the bracket. I watched those matches. He beat you pretty convincingly, what kind of things did you change in LF?

QRS: Well first thing I learned was Wario has Super armor on his F-Smash.

NG: So you didn't know basic stuff about the character even?

QRS: I had never played a Wario before so I didn't know what to expect.

NG: You have a remarkable ability to adapt over the course of many matches- where does that come from?

QRS: I did that in Melee too, people eventually fall into patterns and even though I wouldn't be able to write them down I notice how they follow things up and what usually comes after that. I think of how I'd beat a certain move and then try it.

NG: Do you think you take the first couple of matches to watch the opponent, rather than try to make a deliberate effort to outplay from the get go? Like you're willing to take a loss in exchange for information.

QRS: No, I pretty much try from the start to out play my opponent. Since I play Fox, I should start with laser camping and study them from there, but I do get somewhat impatient.

NG: What I guess I mean is you make less reads during the first match, just try to play solidly while watching what they do. A lot of top players in other games do this.

QRS: I'd say I play as solidly as possible while watching.

NG: In GF you played Iowa's best player-Joker, had you played him before?

QRS: A bit in friendlies and a few months before. I hadn't really had much of a good record against him so I didn't know how I'd fair in Grand finals.

NG: He went all wolf against you, correct? How do you feel the set went? You managed to take a game from him.

QRS: First round was Snake and that was on Rainbow Cruise, he said no to Brinstar. So he didn't go completely Wolf. Everything else was Wolf though. I felt like the set could have went better, I should have been more patient and tried to learn more in the first few rounds. I think the match time for them were like 3 minutes or something.

NG: Yeah, his style is pretty relentless. You probably didn't have much time to think, ha.

QRS: Nope, and I think that's what got me.

NG: Do you think if he was to play wolf again in a tournament set against you, would you be able to beat him?

QRS: I don't know, but I'm sure I'd be able to take him to the last round if I take my time.

NG: Does anyone in Eastern Iowa (outside of Yink) have the potential to rise up in the scene, and do some real damage? You can include yourself.

QRS: A lot of the Mt. Vernon crew (outside of Zephyros) are still learning how to deal with their character, I've yet to play this Freshman snake main so I can't say anything about that. Dr. Slash picked up Snake, and if he learns that character I don't see why he wouldn't get better placings. Soran, I don't know. He has a good marth but problems with consistency. He also does Wi-fi, which could be good or bad depending. Then you, you have okay everything. I think you have to get more practice in somehow because there's a few things you're not doing.  Then I hear there's Bead who moved to Iowa city, don't know anything of what to think about that.

NG: "okay everything." Yep, that's me. Ha.

QRS: I'll just throw this out there, like Sheik's DACUS.

NG: Will we see a Highest Point 2 in the future?

QRS: Oh, I'm thinking some time in March. Probably the 12th or 19th. It'll also have a different name.

NG: Cool, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for taking your time!

QRS: Yeah, no problem, thanks for the interview!

No comments: