Jan 5, 2011

Why Request Double Blind Pick? (Part 2)

This has two effects. First, it displays ability for multiple characters. This deters anyone who thinks calling for the rule is a big charade. Essentially, it gives meaning and force behind my action. The second effect stems largely from the first. It changes how my opponents think about playing me. They may feel more compelled to choose their main, or in the coup de gras of calling for a blind pick, it may make opponents second guess themselves so much about my character choice that they deviate from their main whilst I have all along decided to choose my main. Like I mentioned earlier, the mind games have begun well before the match even begins. Not only that, but by being the initiator, I have the psychological advantage even though I am literally in the same character choosing dilemma as my opponent.

Even if the ideal situation of my opponent psyching themselves out before the match never happens. The match dynamic is still shifted in my favor. To many, the shift may seem so infinitesimally small it's not worth doing. My reply is that I simply have come to believe any sort of advantage is worth it. Especially because the rule, no matter how publicly known throughout every fighting game community, is largely underutilized, if at all. By calling for the rule before a match, I gain instant respect from my opponent. It shows the tremendous amount of significance I am putting on the match, which demands respect from anyone.

Up to this point, I have given more of a general outline of what the enforcement of the rule gives any player that chooses to call for it. Believe me, I would not be making this change without a few more reasons related to me personally. First, I feel as in the case discussed with Trent, I feel I can beat many of my peers whom I have lost to in the past given the right character at the right time. Instead of reserving blind picks for just those people, I might as well attempt to at least make it seem like I might pick another character on everybody. Overall, this will force those who I truly do plan to change characters on to never know when I plan on switching out my Yoshi. Essentially they can't sit and wait until I call a blind pick and be already psychologically prepared.

Second, if the double blind pick ever does work out so magically that I can steal a first game of a set from a superior player, that is a tremendous advantage for me and my true main, Yoshi. Yoshi is a character that thrives on the neutral stages. He doesn't do well on many of the counter picks. That combined with my playstyle with Yoshi as it is right now, essentially gives my opponent an automatic win on their counterpick. Thus, winning the first game is crucial to taking down the set for me. If double blind makes it so I win more first round games, that will help me. In any case, double blind only applies to the first game of set anyway, so the small psychological advantage I gain is largely lost after the first game. Being that first game success is largely contingent on me winning the entire set, the advantage, how ever small, applies to me very well.

Let's face it, I'm not the best player. I wouldn't even consider myself decent at this point, just okay. That has become very clear through out of state tournament results. It's a struggle to even win one match. I need every little advantage I can get at this point. Until then, I am grinding my alt characters a lot more to make this strategy more successful for me. Stay tuned.

For more information about this blog and what it is, read this.

No comments: