Aug 25, 2011

3SO - Day 1 Summary

The short version is I had a lot of fun playing with my fighting game buddies during the first day of the release. I found out that I have some ability in this game and do not totally suck. In my matches with friends that had mounds more experience than me, I held my own with my day 1 Ken-- relying heavily on Daigo videos and general SF experience to earn hits. I was certainly not a free win by any means. With that said, I went 2-4 in my online ranked matches. I need the experience in the matchups to be able to easily counter the tactics I have seen so far. I'm confident if I had known just a bit more information, I could have won a lot more.

I've always been critical of this game in the past. I like the system and mechanics for the most part. There are two main problems the way I see it. First of all and most obvious is balance. This is one of the most imbalanced competitive fighters out there, but this isn't really a huge problem to me--- but a problem nonetheless. The other problem, a much bigger one in my mind, is the way the game tends to flow. It is mostly about poking and fishing for a 1-hit confirm into Super. The ease at which a character does this is what usually defines how good the character is and to me getting one hit into big damage shouldn't be the how a whole round is decided.

Third Strike is a game beloved by mostly those that only play 3S and not much else if anything and I'm beginning to see why. It is a game that is very unique that attracts a specialized kind of player. Sure, fighting gamers can be successful at it, but it usually far from their favorite game. I prefer ST or Alpha for my sprite based SF game.

No comments: